Sunday, July 26, 2015

Grocery shopping with kids - few ways to have fun

Sometimes it can be very challenging. It's like testing the limits of your patience and sanity. But there are few ways of making it a fun family play time. I will write about some of the ways we tried.
 Grocery store scavenger hunt.
                                                     





 Grocery store scavenger hunt.
This one is a lot of fun for kids of all ages.
I write my own grocery list at home and then divide it between my kids. If I am limited on time, I will only give them 3-5 items each and they will be looking for their items as I am getting mine. If not, then getting 10 things in your list can last for hours :)) Split your list evenly for every kid you have and let them find their items by taking turns... Yes you will visit the same isle probably 10+times, but they will have fun, there won't be any screaming or fighting.  They start walking around the store and looking for items on their list, all you have to do is follow them around and make sure they got the right stuff.



Search and find game
You can give them some genetic description and they have to figure out what is it and get it.
For example for Ashley, 4 year old, it will be - Find me some red vegetable which you put on your sandwich... She have to figure out that I am talking about tomatoes and go get them. For a little older kids - find me the cheapest (biggest, longest, etc) item. Like find me the cheapest Cheerios,
For Emily (age 7) I can give a little harder job - find me the cheapest cheese, but not for the package, for price per oz or per unit.  Or like on the picture above - find me which bell pepper is cheaper for just 1. So she have to figure out that 98 cents written price is the smallest looking, but for $1 you can get 2 bell peppers, which will make one cost only 50 cents.
Find me a batch of 6 bananas
Find me a bag of grapes which will be more then 1 lb, but less then 1.5... They have to go and weigh it.
Get 1 gallon of 2% milk
Get a pint of chocolate milk
Get me 10 tomatoes
And you list can go on....

I spy
Similar to search and find, but faster.
Standing in the middle of produce start calling items. I spy something red... And they guess what it is and get it. I spy something purple... and they are looking for it, etc




5 comments:

  1. Маша, какая классная идея, возьму на вооружение! Спасибо!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Незачто! Думаю многим это может пригодиться.

      Delete
    2. Незачто! Думаю многим это может пригодиться.

      Delete
  2. И я возьму на вооружение, спасибо, что поделилась!

    ReplyDelete